knitting and reading: new beginnings


finished another project for the junebug, the emma tunic that did turn out more like a tunic than the dress that i had initially planned, but that's okay! i also ran out of the pink yarn. i still like the way it turned out. i decided to leave out the button affair all together, the neck is so wide that i could even fit it over her legs and body, so this'll do! here are my ravelry notes for the tunic. (oh yes, photos of baby in dress to follow once it's there :))


i cast on for the Rae scarf yesterday, inspired by mamajay's Ocean Rae. i had meant to make a different scarf with it and many of you might actually recognize that yarn from other yarn along posts, but it just didn't work out. i would have loved a scalloped scarf, but the pattern was just too much work (for me) to read, at least too much for what i expected. for me a garter stitch scarf really needs to be mindless knitting, which allows me to multitask (cuddle a toddler and read to him, play scrabble with my hubby, watch a movie) while finishing it. and i think the Rae is just that, it's making good progress already.


i also finished Barnheart on monday night and was really moved by it. it's a lovely book, full of heart and soul and honesty. it made me long for a different life at times but it also taught me that the time to fulfill your dreams always comes at some point! now i cracked the cover of Pioneer Women: Voices from the Kansas Frontier. has anybody of you read it?

i love to knit and to read, so i'm joining ginny's yarn along. what are you knitting and reading?

16 comments:

Tracey ~ Clover said...

Sylvia, the little tunic/dress is so sweet. I do hope you take a picture when it's on the Junebug.

No, I have not read your book, but it does look interesting. I hope you enjoy it.

Happy Yarn Along.

simona said...

i recognize the yarn since i wear my scarf you made with it a lot!
the dress/tunic is sweet, junebug will look adorable in it!

Kimmy said...

That tunic looks absolutely adorable!
And so does the scarf :) , such nice colours!
Kimmy

Simply Tasheena said...

You did an amazing job! I would love for you to link up at my Linky Party via: www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Ellen said...

'cracked the cover' - lovely description!

The little dress is beautiful and yes, show pics when your baby arrives. The rae looks perfect too - a simple garter stitch is really all you need when you have a lovely yarn to show off.

steph said...

can't wait to see the little junbug in it!! it's adorable!

karen said...

I adore the tunic, I bet your Junebug is going to LOVE it!!! I love the scarf/shawl as well.

EMMA said...

That tunic is so cute!
I haven't read that book but would definitely like to. I sounds a bit familiar, I think someone my have talked about it once on yarn along.

Cheryl said...

What a gorgeous dress. I can't wait to see it modelled. I'm with you on the need for mindless knitting on occasions.

Gigi said...

Such a sweet tunic -- love the color combination!
Blessings,
G

Earth Mama 101 said...

Oh, I know all about running out of yarn! It seems I make a regular habit of underestimating just enough. The tunic looks beautiful though...perfect for a little babe.

:)Lisa

Angela said...

Loving the tunic and all of that red, white and yellow! Oh the fear of running out of yarn and then actually running out. I know it well.
That book sounds fascinating. I never read it but I'll put it on my list. It might be a great present for my MIL who is from KS and still lives there.
xo,
Ang

barefoot mama said...

oh my goodness...that tunic is precious! I wish you would come visit me and teach me how to knit:))

Lori ann said...

such a cute little dress ~ tunic, it's going to be so cozy warm on.

Erica Saint said...

I just love the cute little tunic!

A Faithful Journey said...

The tunic is gorgeous! Thinking I am going to have to cast one of these on next for my July Baby Girl! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...