handmade gift idea: aspic-preserved hippos

this was posted on my old blog back in 2007. it's a project i love though and it's a fun way to create a handmade present, so we thought we might share it again!



Okay, here they come. It's the wedding anniversary of my cousin and her husband today and when I asked them what food I should bring to the party, he answered: an aspic-preseverd hippo. So I thought of how I might surprise them and bring something that looks like a hippo in aspic and came up with this idea: selfmade (glycerin) soap with plastic hippos (from the toys department) sitting in them. They don't wobble, but they're still quite cool!



a note from today:
self-made glycerin soap is easily done and with some little shells, toys or jewelry inside they make a great gift! all you need is some glycerin soap (from a craft store). melt it, and pour it into a form (i used cleaned out yoghurt cups) and place the embellishment where you want it. let it cool so that it gets hard. i later placed the soaps into cellophane bags (muslin works great too!)

these particular ones were just made with glycerin soap, but the possibilities are endless!! you can add color or essential oils to get the scent you love.


See more creative projects and tutorials:

•  SNOW DOME – create your own winter wonder land
•  Magic Bottle Tutorial - make it sparkle
•  Dancing Owl - use the free printable to make a creative paper toy
•  Waxing Leaves - make the fall colors last in your home

5 comments:

Stefanie Elisabeth said...

ma, a gute idee, aber ich habe mich da no net d'rĂ¼ber getraut, weil man so viel zutaten braucht... zumindest nach einem rezept aus dem internet...

Teena said...

Thanks stopping by my blog. Your blog is full of fabulous ideas...I will be back for sure!

Anonymous said...

Very cute idea! We might have to try this. My boys would love it and I bet my hubby would get into it, too. Do you put anything else in the soap?

sylvia said...

hi sarah! thanks for stopping by! these particular ones were just made with glycerin soap, but the possibilities are endless!! you can add color or essential oils to get the scent you love. make sure to stop back here and tell us about the results of your soap-making endeavors!!
sylvia

Anonymous said...

gday artsyants.blogspot.com blogger discovered your website via Google but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your site http://xrumerservice.org they claim they managed to get close to 1000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my site. Hope this helps :) They offer best backlinks service Take care. Jason

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...